The Art I Live

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

weeks

Week 2:

I’m surprised at how well I am actually doing here. Just a year ago I thought Africa was too far, too foreigner, and I was too weak, and had too many “standards” to ever live in a third world country. That goes to show how living truly is learning because I’ve found out that it’s not all that hard to be here and I don’t require all that much. Comfort is a privilege not a necessity. My greatest frustrations thus far have been the limited running water (mostly in terms of the toilets “bucket baths” aren’t so bad) and the complexity that is registrations and finding books for class. While being frustrated I also realize that “developing country” effects matters from the governmental level all the way down to how hard it is for me to get a photo copy of a syllabus here.

Classes this week went well. (the ones professors actually attended…lol). I’m sure I will be engaged in my course work but course work alone is not enough to keep a busy bee like me going. We only take each course once a week for two hours with the exception of dance. This leaves me a lot of free time. I’ve decided I’m going to begin consciously crafting art projects. What I’ve set as goals are my next cd, a book of poems, and some type of performance/show for the exit project during my last semester in First Wave. More to come! As those projects develop I may publish some of my work here. I’m also going to spend a lot of my free time trying to write for grants and planning some additional travels around Ghana. If you know me you know I must remain busy!!!!

I went to Labadi Beach for the first time this week as well. After bartering for a cab (or getting frustrated and just accepting the driver’s request) we rode for an hour to the beach. Mind you along the way there are at least 20 persons selling anything you can imagine. They walk up to your car and tap on the window and show you things and try to convince you to buy, buy, buy. Once we arrived at the beach we had to pay a toll price and get a slip checked. The beach was very beautiful. I was surprised to see horses there! Men were charging for rides and pictures with the horses. That goes to say that men were selling everything. It was funny I told one guy selling leather hand made bracelets that I had no money and he asked would I like to trade him two of his bracelets for my watch. My watch was basically work about $2. He was trying to sell his bracelets for 5 cedis a piece so I figured it was worth it. I also brought a handmade leather purse from another lady. While we were there my friend mentioned he was hungry while we were talking to some Ghanaian and they pulled out some jellof rice and chicken they had prepared for the orphanage children they were chaperoning. We ate what we were offered and talked to the women and watched the kids play. We then paid a even higher taxi rate to get home because of the crazy traffic on the rode. During our ride it rained so less sells persons but more chaos. Our driver nearly ran over a biker. Eventually we made it back to our dorms and went and brought some dinner from the night market right near us.

Coco farm: We visited a coca farm, tasted fresh coca, and learned about the process of harvesting coca.
Dunbar: The university had a welcome dunbar for all the international students. We ate great Ghanaian food and danced until night. I found out that I really do love to dance when I’m in a space that’s free and welcoming to just moving. I had so much fun. Here, people genuinely like to hear great music and dance.
Church: I went to church for the first time this week it was more traditional than my style of worship. More like a Anglacian or Methodist service in American might be. I was intrigued by how Christianity in Ghana came by way of colonization and it’s visible in the services. The only Ghanaian music was a hymn sung in twi. Also, many people were dressed in traditional cloth. I found it interesting that the women in the church far out numbered the men. This church also had flat screen tvs in the sanctuary like some places back home. The basic church protocol was the same at this church. I look forward to finding a more “urban” perhaps upbeat place of worship in the future here.

Washing Clothes: I washed my clothes by hand and MAN WAS IT A WORK OUT! But my gospel tunes motivated me to get it all done. I have never ever done my laundry by hand, never hung anything on a line to dry. It reminded me of the stories my grand mother tells about how she had to do so much difficult house work as a child. I was very proud when I finished. I realized how privileged my life in America actually is and thanked God for what I do have at home. I will sure not be changing outfits a few times a day here like I would at home! I have to wash that stuff!!! I also enjoyed doing laundry because it was a good two hours for me to reflect on my time here, my life at home, my future, and several other things. The thing I appreciate most about being here is stillness and time during which I can ponder.

Recently, I became very frustrated with my current status of living and the lack of efficiency and resources here in Ghana. At times things get under my skin that I can’t control and I can’t help but to compare it to the way my world is in America. (which obviously isn’t fair). The frustrating things have been having to witness random people urinate in random public places with very little discretion about it. It’s socially acceptable here I suppose. Another thing is how rude I feel like people are here. (I’ve been trampled for a desk). But it all comes back to under development and lack of resources. My history class on colonialism and African response is really opening my eyes to how systematic these things actually are. I have much to learn.


Living is learning,

Camea Osborn

No comments: